The Governors Role
The Governing body for Somerleyton School has a range of responsibilities to ensure the school is providing high quality education for your children. The Governing body is made up of a number of individuals from a range of backgrounds, from staff, parents, local community members and those elected by the Local Education Authority (LEA). All of the Governing body are elected members.
The Governing Body:
- Provides a strategic overview
- Acts as a critical friend
- Ensures accountability.
In doing so they, in partnership with the Headteacher, are responsible for:
- Monitoring pupil progress.
- Determining the aims and objectives for the school.
- Interviewing and appointing staff.
- Allocating the school budget, so that national and local requirements are met and to ensure that our children's needs are met.
- Managing the buildings.
- Deciding how the school is to be used outside school hours.
- Fostering good relationships with parents and the local community.
This is not an exhaustive list.